When it comes to my favorite dessert, it’s a toss up between crisps and brownies.
Knowing my body and how I respond to flour and sugar, I minimize dessert intake whenever I can.
But if there’s a crisp or brownie in front of me, they would each call my name.
And perhaps, literally jump into my mouth.
Especially the homemade ones.
Imagine when I created a recipe that I consider healthful for brownies (I have not quite done that for crisps – and that will soon change)!
This recipe has no grains, no sugar, and no dairy products, and yet… it is simply, satisfyingly glorious!
A small square of it with my morning coffee helps me jump out of bed. And my teenage kids love it, too!
You’ve got to try it to see what I am talking about.
HEALTHY FUDGY BROWNIE
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use extra dark, but the regular kind is fine, too)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey for more sweetness, dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all ingredients until smooth (I use a standing mixer)
- Transfer to a non stick, or well greased 9×4 baking pan
- Bake for 20 mins
- Let cool, and cut into squares.
- Store in refrigerator for best fudgy consistency
Enjoy, slowly, with a cup of hot tea or coffee.