I just finished a wonderful weekend workshop, Learning to Pause, at Kripalu. There’s so much that I took away from it, and so much that I want to share with you here.
To digest in small chunks – because too much all at once is overwhelming – I am going to first share the “We are the sky” meditation with you.
This meditation is a simple way to pause and get grounded, especially on a busy day or when you feel overwhelmed.
Imagine your mind or your consciousness as the sky – a vast, empty canvas that is spacious and infinite – and all the emotions you have from living your life are things that cross the sky: puffy clouds, storms, wind or rain.
They come, and they go. Sometimes they can be quite uncomfortable (like anxiety), or even frightening (panic or fear), but they always pass.
The sky is a space to allow these things to come and go just like how our mind is that space for our emotions to come and go. They all pass. And they can’t hurt us because we are just there to hold space for them.
Give this simple meditation a try and watch what happens to your mind and how you respond to your emotions.
“We are the sky” Meditation
- Go outside to where you can see the sky.
- Look up at the sky.
- Feel your feet on the ground.
- Take a deep breath. With each breath, ground yourself deeper by feeling our feet firmly on the ground. Allow the rest of our mind and body to expand like the sky.
- Counting down 3 – 2 – 1, breathe and root down to the earth.
- Count up 1 – 2 – 3, breathe and expand your chest to open up to the sky.
- Do this for 2 minutes without any distractions and preferably outside where you can connect with the sky.
If we can be anything, why not be the sky?